MAY, MAY, GO AWAY!

Sunday, May 9, 2010 by The Fashion Fool
This year, if I get accepted into a certain school, I made a promise that I would treat myself to a nice purse (one that I could potentially see myself using all through adulthood.) This is soo unlike me, as I am the most frugal (CHEAP) person on the planet. A trait that I have inheirited from my lovely mother. My favorite places to shop? Dollar Sundays outside of a vintage store called Jet Rag and Costco. But no, this time will be different. I've been doing nothing but saving up my money for the past two years and I am going to (dare I say it?) SPURLGE! Just the thought of it makes my heart race a little. Now, the only thing stopping me (not to mention, causing me the anxiety) are the admissions decisions!! Oh, how I want May to be over..
When it comes to handbags, I adhere to a very utilitarianistic mentality. That means bigger bags for everyday use and smaller ones (yes that includes fanny packs. I am a proud owner of one) for events such as concerts. And a bag with a longer strap for across the body action is a must. I am constantly thinking which bag will not only bring me the most practicality but also maximize my happiness? I don't quite think that this was what John Stuart Mill had intended when he came up with his philosophies..
When I was younger, I always imagined my first major piece to be the Marc Jacobs Stam, but now that I think about it, I don't see how practical using a chunky gold chain for straps can be. I I've never been a fan of monogram bags or extremely iconic bags such as the chanel 2.55 or the balenciega motorcycle. ( Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love those bags, but I can never see myself being important enough to trot one acoss LA.) After months of painstakingly researching all the different types of bags that the fashion gods could offer, I finally narrowed down my options to just two.

Alexander Wang Diego Bag
The successor to the extremely popular Rocco duffel bag of last year. And trust me, I went completely nuts over it the minute I saw Mary-Kate Olsen carrying one well before it hit the stores. (tyical MK right?) The compostion of the pebbled leather and the chunky gold pyramid studs at the bottom was enough to make me salivate. But the fact that it did not have a longer strap was its only fault. Thankfully, A. Wang had some sense to release the Diego bag, It has the most coveted features of the Rocco with the addition of the cross body strap! I did not think that I would like the bucket shape, but I am actually smitten by it. The one in white looks delicious enough to eat.
No one can work a Diego quite like Rumi from Fashion Toast. Tossing it in the bucket of a bicycle? PERFECTION.

My next bag is the famous PS1 from one of my favorite design house, Proenza Schouler. The leather to this bag is so buttery soft, it is insane. This mixes the professional aspect of a briefcase with a downtown, uber chic city vibe that only Jack and Lorenzo could pull out. I was debating between this and the Mulberry Alexa (inspired by my doppelganger Alexa Chung, haha) but overall, I love the discreet yet completely refined design that the PS1 has.
(Pictures via Opening Cermony and Fashion Toast)

Posted in Labels: | 8 Comments »

8 comments:

Cafe Fashionista said...

Ah, the PS1...be still my heart! I am OBSESSED with that bag. Oh, I hope you get accepted to the school of your dreams; for the sheer fact that you desire something decadently designer!! :)

J. said...

I love them both, I'm not sure how I'd choose! But they're both great choices, usable for years to come.

Anyway, I left an award for you at my blog, come check it out!

Poppies and Sunshine said...

Oh I am loving that Diego bag! So cute! It was great to have you stop by. Thank you for the comment :)

Sara said...

You should reward yourself with a purse! Hrmm..hard to pick though :)

melindaaa said...

i hope you get accepted to an amazing school because that alexanderwang bag is amazinggg!

Denisa L said...

go for the ps1!!!

J said...

good luck!! i cant wait to see which new bag you end up with.. both fabulous choices! the ps1 is a great unique color!

Maria said...

I love these bags* wishlist material!

-Maria from L.A.

Post a Comment